A safe and gentle class for women to attend during pregnancy. You will
learn specific yoga poses, breathing exercises and relaxation
techniques designed to relieve the physical and emotional discomforts during pregnancy. Suitable for all stages of your pregnancy. Email Shiya@shantiyogashala.org for more information.
Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- A gentle alternative to strenuous or high impact exercise, which are not recommended for pregnancy
- Toning of the pelvic floor muscles – essential for supporting your growing uterus.
- Learning to use abdominal breathing for relaxation and pain relief during labor.
- Releasing fear, tension and discomfort through calming movements and deep breathing.
- Improving strength and stability during a time when your sense of balance is constantly changing.
- Providing an energizing feeling of lightness and alleviating tiredness.
- Improving flexibility and muscle tone.
- Alleviating common pregnancy symptoms such as heartburn, constipation and indigestion.
- Creating room for baby to find the perfect position for their birth.
- Relieving aches and pains such as sciatica and back pain.
- Laying the foundations for a fast postpartum recovery.
- Providing a time to bond with your baby and connect with your pregnancy in preparation for birth and the journey of motherhood.
Shanti Yoga Shala is affiliated with Debbie the Doula, www.douladebbiephiladelphia.com
Birth doulas accompany women and their partners in labor, providing emotional support and physical comfort. They facilitate communication with caregivers to help clients feel fully informed, provided reassurance, perspective and help with relaxation.
The word doula comes from the Greek word meaning “a woman who serves.” Studies have shown that a doula’s presence at births results in shorter labors with less complications, fewer requests for pain medications and/or epidurals and a reduction in labor-enhancing drugs (Pitocin), forceps, vacuum extractions and cesareans. Click here to contact Debbie for more information.
New Postnatal and Mommy and Baby Yoga classes will begin Fall/Winter 2014
Postnatal/Mommy & Baby Yoga
“Your life is transformed with a new born baby, often in unexpected ways. The experience of giving birth calls for a new integration of your physical and spiritual well-being, so gentle yoga-based movements with your baby can help you, gradually and safely, to recover not only your figure and your muscle tone, but your strength from within. The flow of your breath in yoga and the stillness of deep relaxation with your baby can open up a steady, calm path ahead in the midst of all the emotions that new mothers inevitably go through.” ~ Francoise Barbira Freedman, Yoga for Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
Babies 6 weeks to crawling. Bring your little one to enjoy an hour filled with breathing techniques to calm you and your baby, gentle baby massage and stretches, asanas for the Mommy, community building and sharing and more!
- Please complete Postnatal Yoga questionnaire prior to first class and bring with you.
- Please bring blanket, quilt, etc for baby to lie on during class.
- Please feel free to pause during class as needed to comfort or feed baby.
- Please feel free to bring your questions, concerns etc to class, we are here to support you in every way we can.
Benefits of Mommy and Baby Yoga:
Benefits for Mom
- Strengthens the back, abdominal and pelvic floor muscles
- Releases tension in shoulders and neck muscles
- Helps to improve posture
- Decreases overall stress and promotes relaxation
- Rejuvenates the mind and increases energy
- Provides and opportunity to connect with other mothers
- Creates a safe environment to bond with baby
Benefits for Babies
- Babies are natural yogis! They develop through yoga poses, which can aid in their gross and fine motor skills.
- Yoga helps to improve sleeping patterns both in duration and frequency, as well as encourages sleeping through the night.
- Yoga poses and stretches for infants aid in digestion, constipation, and relieve gas and colic.
- Yoga promotes bonding between parents and babies.
- Playful yoga songs and activities (and seeing other babies) help make the whole experience fun! Including tummy time!
- Soothing techniques teach parents to help babies to calm themselves. Increases body awareness, both for baby and parent.
- Yoga is a great way for Moms to strengthen their bodies, calm their minds, feel relaxed, and get back in shape.
- Yoga reduces stress for both parents and babies.
- Baby Yoga creates balance between strength and flexibility in developing bodies, so they grow strong and maintain the flexibility they are born with.
- Initiates social interaction in a non-competitive environment for both babies and new parents – it’s a great way to meet other new Moms and Dads.
- Healthy habits learned early in life become healthy habits later in life.
Mommy and Me Yoga for Movers and Shakers
Babies crawling to 24 mos. Bring your little one to enjoy an hour filled with breathing techniques to calm you and your baby, gentle baby massage and stretches, playtime, games and stories, asanas for the Mommy, community building and sharing and more!
Benefits of Mommy and Me Yoga for Movers and Shakers:
Benefits for Babies/Toddlers
- Deepen the parent/child bond
- Help baby sleep longer and better
- Improve baby’s digestion and ease tummy troubles
- Relieve fussiness and colic
- Discover ways to enhance your baby’s motor development
- Strengthen the immune system
- Encourage neuromuscular development
- Improve body-awareness
- Playfully relieve stress and frustration
- Increase your child’s attention span
- Provide an outlet for social interaction
- Nurture self-esteem and creativity
- Build a fit, healthy lifestyle
- Discover your child’s personality and learning style
- Learn ways to calm your child
- Build your confidence as a parent
- Reduce your stress and anxiety
- Create memorable moments with your child
- Engage in a structured physical activity
- Get more sleep!