A safe and gentle class for women to attend during pregnancy. You will
learn specific yoga poses, breathing exercises and relaxation
techniques designed to relieve the physical and emotional discomforts during pregnancy. Suitable for all stages of your pregnancy. Email Shiya@shantiyogashala.org for more information.
Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
- A gentle alternative to strenuous or high impact exercise, which are not recommended for pregnancy
- Toning of the pelvic floor muscles – essential for supporting your growing uterus.
- Learning to use abdominal breathing for relaxation and pain relief during labor.
- Releasing fear, tension and discomfort through calming movements and deep breathing.
- Improving strength and stability during a time when your sense of balance is constantly changing.
- Providing an energizing feeling of lightness and alleviating tiredness.
- Improving flexibility and muscle tone.
- Alleviating common pregnancy symptoms such as heartburn, constipation and indigestion.
- Creating room for baby to find the perfect position for their birth.
- Relieving aches and pains such as sciatica and back pain.
- Laying the foundations for a fast postpartum recovery.
- Providing a time to bond with your baby and connect with your pregnancy in preparation for birth and the journey of motherhood.
Shanti Yoga Shala is affiliated with Debbie the Doula, www.douladebbiephiladelphia.com
Birth doulas accompany women and their partners in labor, providing emotional support and physical comfort. They facilitate communication with caregivers to help clients feel fully informed, provided reassurance, perspective and help with relaxation.
The word doula comes from the Greek word meaning “a woman who serves.” Studies have shown that a doula’s presence at births results in shorter labors with less complications, fewer requests for pain medications and/or epidurals and a reduction in labor-enhancing drugs (Pitocin), forceps, vacuum extractions and cesareans. Click here to contact Debbie for more information.